He's Here - The Whole Story

Baby Logan is here!!! 

I find it super ironic that I blogged about him never getting here and then 12 hours later he proved me wrong haha. 

First the stats, and then I'll go into the whole story down below with more pictures. He was born at 5:39pm on eclipse day weighing 7lbs 3oz, which is pretty big for being 2.5 weeks early, and measuring 20.5" long. He is pure perfection and is our first child to be born without red hair. Gasp!! 

I literally cannot put him down. He is so perfect. 

Ok, so the whole graphic story. This part is best read by women who have also given birth... just warning ya...

I woke up at 7:30 Monday morning and was sitting on the couch with Brynlie. After about 30 minutes I started to notice I was having kinda painful contractions that felt like menstrual cramps. They felt nothing like the Braxton hicks I've had for months and months. They were coming pretty fast too, about 2-3 minutes apart. But some were painful and others were just kind of meh. I googled the pain cause I had never had that before and everything I read said that's how early labor pains start. My hopes started to rise but I also was positive that this wasn't the real thing. 

Cory was sleeping because he had just gotten off the night shift for work, and I was supposed to wake him up at 11 so we could watch the eclipse. I decided to give it until then and see how I felt. I was sure it would stop by then. 

I took a hot shower and then decided to go to Costco. I figured the trip would either make it worse or get it to stop. So I loaded up the girls and we went. By the time we were loading stuff in the car, I was having to stop and breathe through the contractions. We got home, unloaded, and Cory woke up. 

I decided to stay sitting down and start really timing them. So during our eclipse viewing I was timing my labor contractions haha. Cory was supposed to leave for work at 3:30 and I was totally unsure if I should send him to work or if we were having a baby. I timed them for 2 hours and they were fairly consistently about 5 minutes apart. Some were longer, some were shorter. They started to get more intense as well. Cory had gone back to bed and I told him I would wake him up if something happened. 

Around 1:30 I had a particularly bad one and said a prayer because I wasn't sure what to do. I decided after that to at least call my doctor and he said to go to the hospital and get checked. Great. I was only 1cm a few days ago. This was where they were going to tell me I still wasn't dilated and send me home. But I also had a feeling this was really it, I just couldn't wrap my head around it. 

We got ahold of our neighbor and she graciously took our girls until my mom got off work to come get them. I frantically packed a bag in case I wouldn't be coming home (I guess I should have been more prepared haha) and we went to the hospital a little after 2pm. 

I felt totally stupid telling the people at registration, "I think I'm in labor and my doctor said to come get checked". Who thinks they're in labor on their 3rd kid? Oh wait, someone who has always been induced! Haha  They quickly sent a nurse down (who happened to be the same nurse we LOVED during Brynlies delivery) and she got me in a gown and ready to be checked. The moment of truth...

She checked me and I was at a 5-6. She said I was super stretchy though so I could have been even farther along. I started to panic a bit. We were having a baby!! Today!! With both girls by the time I reached 5cm the whole birthing process happened in less than an hour. I started to freak out that I wouldn't have time to get the epidural!! 

Thankfully, no one else was in labor and the anesthesiologist came in right away. They didn't even have my IV hooked up yet. After some struggles to get it in the right spot (OUCH!) I was finally up and going and pain free! Yay! 

The nurse then reminded me that my water still hadn't broken and that's why he wasn't here yet. Because of that he wasnt all the way down and pushing on my cervix to come out, so they were just waiting to see if my doctor wanted to do it or wait for it to happen naturally. 

Shortly after the epidural I started to get really sick and whoozy. The medicine was making my blood pressure drop significantly which was causing the sickness. We tried having me lay down and they put me on oxygen but that didn't work and eventually they brought me some medicine to help. Thankfully after a little bit it did the job and I was back to being relaxed and in shock that we were really doing this right then. 

Around 5:30 my doctor finally showed up and asked if I wanted to have the baby now or keep waiting. Uh... now! They prepped everything, he broke my water, and I was instantly ready to push. After 3 pushes he was out in a breeze, 9 minutes later, with no pain whatsoever! And I didn't even need stitches! It was the easiest delivery ever! 

They set him on my chest and cleaned him off while he cried and cried. I kept getting frustrated cause I couldn't see his face through all the towel wiping. And within seconds he had pooped on me... and then they let me do some skin to skin and he pooped a little more. So that was a fun intro to having a boy haha. 

After a short while we were ready to have the girls meet him. My mom told me Kennedy was just bouncing off the walls with excitement!! It was super important to us to have some special family time together and I'm so glad we did!! I can't even explain how much Kennedy adores him. She loves everything about him and just can't stop looking at him or talking to him. They really needed that time alone with their brother. And they even got to see his first bath, and watch him pee all over the poor nurse. 

She ran up to me and said "oh my gosh I can't believe we have a baby brother!" She is going to be the best big sister! 

I know Brynlie doesn't quite get what's going on, so she's a little unsure, but she did want to keep holding him and touching him. 

And we got our first picture as a family of 5. I hate how swollen the IV fluids always make me in every delivery picture, but at least they're all consistent haha. 

He has been such a good baby so far. But really, what newborn isn't. We adore him and love him and he has some pretty great big sisters who are so ready for him to come home! 

I am super bummed I will be missing Kennedys first day of school tomorrow, but Cory is on strict instructions to take lots of pictures. And hopefully I will be home by the time she gets home so we can all just relax together as a family. I can't wait to get home! 

1 comment:

Amy said...

Yay! So glad it was an easy delivery. Sounds amazing. He's adorable and I'm so happy for you all!