Staples and a Race

We had an interesting night last night. We had family over and Kennedy was playing downstairs with some of them. Behind one of the couches there's a wet bar with a tile countertop. She was running and jumping on the couches (something we've told her not to do about a million times) and slipped, and her head slammed into the edge of the countertop. 

Many of the adults upstairs said they heard a really loud thud (somehow I missed it) and a couple seconds later my brother came upstairs carrying Kennedy who was bawling and had blood all over her head and hands. I kicked into panic mode a little and grabbed some towels to help stop the bleeding. After looking at the wound it was obvious she was going to need stitches. 

We looked up the instacare hours and luckily they were still open for another hour and a half. We quickly packed up and rushed her in. 

Luck was on our side because no one else was there and we got right in. The nurse and Doctor were super nice!! Kennedys biggest fear was needing a shot to numb the wound but they had a gel they put on a cotton ball and applied it to the area to numb it. Pain free!! 
Once she realized there wasn't going to be a shot she perked right up and started making us laugh. She had to wear her ninja turtle band for about 20 minutes, then they cleaned it up and had to put in 3 staples. 
She was so brave and tough and only cried when they put in the last staple because it pushed on her gigantic goose egg! She has to leave them in for a week and then we can get them taken out. 

It shook me up pretty bad at first because this was our first injury that required medical attention. Once I knew she was going to be ok I calmed right down. Obviously I was super sad for her. No mother likes to see their child in pain. It was pretty sore last night so I suggested Cory give her a blessing. She went up to him and said, "Daddy, can you give me a prayer?" It was so cute! She hasn't complained about it hurting since, and today she's normal as can be! 

Maybe now she'll believe us when we tell her she will get hurt jumping on the couches. Maybe...

In other news I ran another half marathon this morning. It was the Deseret News Half Marathon. 
I had zero expectations for this race. I hadn't ran in more than a month, I'm a lot heavier than I was last time I raced, I was really worried about my joints hurting and about the heat. I planned to just go slow and steady and hope nothing hurt. 

To my suprise, I felt fine! Nothing hurt while running which I know was a huge blessing! I was slower, for obvious reasons, but I didn't care that much. The course was really fun and well supported. The last couple miles finish on the Days of 47 Parade route and it was so fun to be cheered on the whole way. I even saw a few people I knew and stopped to talk to them for a bit. It got pretty hot at the end but I plowed through and actually felt really good still after I finished; I wasn't wiped out. It was so nice to know I haven't lost all my running fitness in the last 6 weeks or so. With my visit pit stops my time was 2:14 which was way better than I thought I would do without stopping to chat. So I felt pretty good about it, even if I was running this course a lot faster a couple months ago. Oh well. 

After the race I met up with my family and we watched the parade until we couldn't handle being baked alive anymore. 

Just for nostalgia reasons, here's a picture of me and Lacie at the Deseret News 10k in 2012. Weren't we cute?!
 It's way too dang hot here. I can barely stand it! If you're needing something to pray for, pray for rain and cooler temperature for Utah! 
That's all I've got for you today. The cousins went home so I plan putting the kids to bed early and enjoying the quiet with Cory. See you soon! 

No comments: