4th of July

The 4th of July is my favorite holiday! I love it so much! 

We started out this years festivities going to the Eaglewood fireworks show in our area. I remember these fireworks kind of sucking back when I was a teenager, but they've gotten very good since then. And popular! The sunset was pretty:
 And Kennedy had fun playing with cousins and aunts.
 Aren't we such a cute family? Too bad Kennedy wouldn't smile!
I was kind of worried about keeping Kennedy up that late since I'm neurotic and irrational when it comes to depriving anyone under our roof of sleep, but she did great. She totally died in the car about 1.2 minutes away from home and went straight to bed. We needed her to sleep well because the next morning we were heading to the ranch!! An almost 3 hour car ride with a cranky toddler was not something we were relishing having to do.

So the morning of the 4th we packed and headed to the ranch. Once we got there we rode the four wheelers for a bit (at the request of Kennedy) and then played with fireworks. All of us.
 Of course, we only let her play with ones that were already lit or that she couldn't possibly light herself.
 Sneaking into the firecracker box.
 For some reason, I love this shot of her. She just looks so cute in her grungy pj's and so much older than she is. Even with Elmo on her pj's.
 Even with messy hair, she's still gorgeous.
 Friday we headed to Bear Lake to swim and play. I expected it to be lots of fun but for some reason, Kennedy HATED the water and took a long time to warm up to walking in the sand. I had anticipated this being the highlight of her weekend but it was kind of sad at first. Eventually we had fun. Never mind my awkward pose. Cory isn't the best picture-taker.
 It was wall-to-wall people at North Shore. Seriously, it was a joke!!
 Trying to teach her how to make a sandcastle. She didn't care.

 This is Kennedy's touch-me-and-I'll-kill-you look
 And we had a fun ride back to the ranch.
Later that night a huge storm blew in. I mean literally BLEW IN! The winds were flipping insane! Cory and his mom almost blew away trying to rescue the dogs tied up outside. Since our options were stay inside or get blown away, we opted to stay indoors playing cards.

 And the sunset poking through the storm clouds was pretty cool.
 Saturday morning I woke up early and went for a run. I was actually really excited for this because it's so beautiful and deserted up there. Plus the temps were in the high 40's because of the rain so it was prime running weather. I had gorgeous views during the entire run.
 Love the fog.
 One of the main reasons we went up to the ranch this weekend (besides doing repairs on the house) was to go to Afton, Wyoming and watch the parade and rodeo. I had never been to a rodeo before so we thought this was the perfect chance. We left around 11 and made it in time for the parade. It was brief and there weren't any floats, but it wasn't without entertainment. Or candy. There was lots and lots of candy. The man pictured below is 102 years old and still works his farm every day.
 There was a teeny truck which many people discussed how two adults got inside.
 And  these guys held that same position of hoisting the flag for the entire parade. Pretty impressive.
 We kept telling Braden so go out further in the street so they would throw more candy in our direction. After he said no, Grandpa Hunter decided to take matters into his own hands. He moved his chair out in the middle of the street and put Kennedy's hat on his head and just sat there. I was cracking up so hard, as well as anyone else who could see him. It was so funny. And it worked because we filled a grocery sack full of candy.
 A giant motorized shopping cart was the closest thing they had to a float.
 A patriotic unicorn!
 Along with candy we got two aerobies and some clothing.
 My little parade watchers
 We had quite a bit of time to kill so we hung out at a park for several hours and ate lunch and played games. Grandpa Hunter sure loves Kennedy. I had to get a picture of them together.
 Then it was RODEO TIME!! We didn't notice that it was actually a ranch rodeo, which isn't the same as the big rodeo circuits like the Day's of 47 or anything. But it was still highly entertaining!! They started the fun with bronco riding, which I could watch all night. That was awesome!! Then it was another 2.5 hours of different ways that they could get their horses ready and a cow roped and tied. It was still fun, but kind of got repetitive after a while and Kennedy started to get really bored and tired. After 2.5 hours, we decided to leave early. There were still 3 more events and a fireworks show to be had, but we knew Kennedy would never have lasted that long. It was awesome to go and see it all though.
 Kennedy would NOT sit still on our laps for anything, but as soon as we handed her to grandma, she sat down and was glued to the action.
I was nervous about the drive home being in the dark and through a wooded canyon. I'm always afraid of hitting a dear. And for good reason, we saw 7 of them either in the road or just on the shoulder waiting to run across. We were on high alert the entire drive. We even almost hit a skunk! That would have been awful. But everyone made it home safe and sound without hitting anything and promptly went to bed. Kennedy slept right next to our bed in a pack and play which she loved. I kind of liked it to because anytime she woke up, I just reached in a patted her or just said "I'm here Kennedy" and she would go back to sleep. I can see why people co-sleep now. It's not for me, but it was kind of nice for a few days.

We had a blast and it was hard to come home. I love being away from internet and cell phones and just being with those we love. I hope everyone enjoyed their holiday weekend!

No comments: