Can I Please Swear in This Title?

Yesterday was one of the most bi-polar days I've ever had. First off, I managed to catch a cold. When I woke up for work Friday, I felt like crap, however, I went anyway. As soon as I got there, I was putting my things away in my desk and I noticed I had 2 missed calls from Cory. That's a bad sign at 7:50 in the morning. I quickly called him back and when he answered the first thing I heard was the deafening roar of the traffic on the freeway. My heart skipped a beat for a second. Clearly he wasn't dead or he wouldn't be calling me. But something was wrong. He explained to me that the back right tire on my car had come off. Not blown, not come loose, SNAPPED OFF! The WHOLE thing!! He was able to get the car off 215 to the shoulder without any harm to him or the car, not that we care so much about the car. He told me he was in the process of looking for the tire and his Dad was coming to help him. Thank you, Lee! School had started so I needed to go, but I told him to keep me occupied. I went through my day worrying and wondering how on earth he was going to fix this. Meanwhile, Cory had gone to the junkyard and found another car like mine and took off the back tire so he could put that one on mine and we could drive it home. By the time he was done with that, it was 2:00 and he needed someone to come back with him to the car so we could take both cars home. I left an hour early with him and we went to the car. Cory worked in the heat and I sat and watched as he tried to pull off the old parts to put the new tire on. After a while, I notice Cory getting really, really angry. He informs me that in order for him to get everything off, he had to cut the break line. Terrific! So that rules out the driving it home idea. He also tells me he forgot to get lug nuts at the junk yard and we needed to go back. So, we left the car again and headed out to 3300 and I did some more waiting as he went in the find them. I was running a fever at this point and waiting in the heat was killing me. But I was trying to stay positive. Meanwhile. I was on the phone trying to find a way to tow the pile of crap home. The auto shop teacher as Woods Cross has a tow dolly so I called my mom to see if we could use it. Neither of us were able to get a hold of him. So then I tried calling South Davis Rental. They had a tow dolly that was being used and it would available soon, for a fee of $45. Ouch. I said ok and tried Uhaul. They only have "vehicle transports" that are $55. This was going to cost us either way and I wasn't happy about it.

Cory returned with the lug nuts and we quickly found something to eat since we were both starving. We returned to the car and Cory had an idea of driving it home using downshifting and the emergency break to stop. I wasn't thrilled about the idea but it was our cheapest option so we decided to try it once the tire was on. Cory jumped in and pulled the brake... nothing. My emergency break wasn't working. Of course. So now we have to tow it home, somehow. I called South Davis Rental and all their dolly's were gone till tomorrow. So we headed back to Bountiful, grabbed Cory's parents car since the Jeep doesn't have a hitch, and went to Uhaul. Turns out, their car doesn't weigh enough to pull the trailer with the Jetta on it. None of the cars we had access to did. We were livid. We called a Highway Patrolman in our ward to see how long we could leave the car there without it getting towed and impounded. He said 2 hours. We were going on 9. So we had to do something. We tried calling everyone we knew who might know someone with a truck. Everyone is either working or out of town for Labor Day. My mom finally told me to just take the Woods Cross trailer anyway and she would ask for forgiveness later. So I went there by myself (Cory was back at the car putting the tire on), singlehandedly hitched it up, and started going back to the car. After about 3o seconds on the freeway, the trailer started to fishtail way bad and I almost lost control. For those of you who know, our family was in a bad accident many years ago when we were pulling a trailer that started out that same way. I got a major flashback and freaked out. I slowed down to 45 MPH, flipped on the emergency flashers, and continued that speed to Cory. It was rush hour mind you, so I had some pretty mad people at me. Finally, I got to Cory hoping we had an end in site. Cory comes to inspect the trailer... turns out you need special straps to keep it on the trailer and they were locked safely within Woods Cross High. I had taken it out there for nothing. I started to Cry. At this point, it was 5:30 and we were supposed to meet friends for dinner. I called them and told them we'd be late. They were awesome about it.

After much frustration and anger, we decided to just very slowly, drive it off the exit ramp and leave it on the public street. Which we did. We took the trailer back and were finally able to go to dinner at 6:30. So my car is currently sitting on the side of some road. Here's the real kicker though: a couple weeks ago, we paid off our cars. We were super exited to have all this extra money each month. Well, now we need a new car. Thank heavens we can afford it, but we're sad we didn't even get to go a month without having a car payment. Hopefully today, we can find someone with a truck willing to help us go get the car. We wanted to take it straight to the junk yard, but we don't have the title yet. So it get's to sit and collect dust along with the other car parts at our house until we can get rid of it. I hate that car. But, on the bright side, sometime in the very near future, we'll be purchasing a new car! :)

Now, switching to the other side of the "pole", we had a blast at dinner. Yesterday was Adrianne's birthday so we wanted to do something special. I was really disappointed that our struggles earlier in the day had taken precedent, but we still made the best of it that we could. Cory and I, Kelly, and our friend Jason all got together. Kelly and I sported heals in her honor, and we went to dinner at Firehouse, one of her favorite places. After dinner we went out and saw her grave and talked a little bit about her. I wish we could have done something more memorable, but it was still good. We all felt peaceful and we know she's happy, even though we miss her so much. We had a good time kicking back and enjoying the company. I just wished Adrianne could have been there. Love you, girl!

So that was our horrible, yet-ended-well, day. I'll keep you posted on whether or not we can go get it off the road. I really, really hope we can.


Jennifer said...

That sounds horrible!! I hope you've been able to get the car off the road by now or if not, then soon. Also, we'd like to sell my old Toyota Corolla ('94) for $2,500.00 if you are interested. It's been a great car.

Tory said...

Why don't you just call a tow truck?

K. Diane said...

to answer your question, yes, you can swear. thanks for a fun dinner and Adrianne time, even though your day was horrible!